Gone are the days when you had to find your way around an unfamiliar city or use paper maps to map your route by road trip. Instead, your phone uses a combination of GPS, mobile data, and Wi-Fi to get you to your destination.
Although GPS has made it very easy to find your way around, it is still a good idea to practice navigation without GPS, as GPS or your phone can sometimes fail. You don’t want to rely so much on your phone’s GPS navigation that you can’t find your way without it.
While not a groundbreaking contribution to the genre, Google Maps comes in handy. It’s the default navigation app on Android and the most popular navigation app on iOS, and it’s easy to see why.
How do I Change the Voice on My GPS?
Google Maps is the best voice navigation system on your phone, allowing you to save maps offline to your device and use your phone so that you can navigate the most rural areas or even when You are traveling on foot. Voice navigation enables you to navigate your phone without constantly looking down.
If you’re trying to customize the app, however, Google Maps lets you customize the sound in your rotating navigation.
Let’s see how to change the voice settings in Google Maps on Android and iOS (iPhone and iPad), starting with Android.
How do I Change the Voice For Google Maps on an Android?
Android devices already have Google Maps installed as part of Google Bundle with Google Assistant, Chrome, Play Store, and more. Users can change the sound of Google Maps navigation on Android phones or tablets from within the app and by reinstalling the app.
The first method is simple, while the second involves adjusting your phone’s language settings. Let’s see how to change the sound of Google Maps on Android phones or tablets.
Change the Google Maps Voice from within the App
Follow these steps to change the Google Maps voice through the app’s settings:
- Tap on the app icon to launch Google Maps on your tablet or phone.
- Tap on your profile icon. It is located in the top-right section of the screen.
- Next, find and tap on the “Settings” tab.
- Once the “Settings” section opens, locate and tap on the “Navigation settings” tab.
- In the Navigation Settings section, tap on the “Voice Selection” tab. The currently selected voice of Google Maps is marked with a check mark.
- You will see the list of all available languages and their regional variations. Tap on the language you want.
- Next, tap the “Back” button. This will take you back to the map.
- Tap on the “Go” button in the lower-right section of the screen.
- After that, enter your current position into the upper text box.
- Enter the destination into the lower text box.
- Tap the “Start” button. Google Maps will start navigating you towards the destination in the newly selected voice/language.
Reinstall the App
When installed, Google Maps takes its language settings from the device’s language settings. So, instead of changing the app’s voice through the in-app settings, you can uninstall the app and change the language settings on your phone or tablet. Let’s see how that works.
- Delete the Google Maps app from your tablet or phone. If you can’t delete it by tapping and holding the icon, you will have to uninstall it via the Google Play Store.
- Next, launch the “Settings” app from the Home screen.
- Scroll down and locate the “System” section. Tap on it.
- Once the “System” section opens, tap on the “Language” or “Language & Input” tab, depending on the device.
- Next, tap the “Language” tab.
- You will see the list of all available languages. Select the one you want by tapping on it.
- Exit Settings by tapping the “Home” button.
- Launch the Play Store by tapping on its icon.
- Browse for the Google Maps app.
- Tap on “Install” or “Update” button.
- Your newly installed Google Maps will take the language settings from the device’s settings.
How Do I Change the Voice on Google Maps on My iPhone?
Unfortunately, iPhone and iPad users can’t change the voice of Google Maps navigation from within the app. However, it’s easy to accomplish the same thing within the iPhone or iPad settings.
Here’s how to change the Google Maps voice on an iPad or iPhone (i.e., iOS):
- Launch the Settings app from the Home screen. Next, tap on the General tab.
- Tap on the Language & Region tab within the “General” section.
- Tap iPhone Language or iPad Language, depending on the device.
- Select the language or the language and the dialect (e.g., Australian English) you want to use. To quickly locate the language of your interest, use the search bar at the top.
- The device will prompt you whether you want to change the language. Tap “Change to…”
Launch Google Maps to test your new language and dialect settings. Enter a location, then click Go to start the voice instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve included some more answers to your questions about Google Maps’ voice in this section.
Can I change the Google Maps’ voice gender?
Unfortunately, no. Google doesn’t give its users a lot of flexibility concerning customization options. While most users are accustomed to changing something as simple as the gender of their digital assistants, Google simply doesn’t give us this option with Maps.
Can I change the Google Voice Assistant to change the voice in Google Maps?
No. For some reason, Google lets users customize certain aspects of the Google Voice Assistant but not Google Maps. If you do decide you’d like to change the gender or accent of the Voice Assistant, the changes will have no effect on Google Maps.